Company: icolo.io has been established with the vision of building a Pan African network of Colocation Data Centers. icolo.io will build and operate a state of the art, (Tier 3), vendor and carrier neutral data center to serve abroad spectrum of clients - telecom carriers, ISPs and peering points, IT and cloud providers, content providers and corporates. The company will create a highly connected data center hub in their countries of operations. It will differentiate itself from providers of hosting services by being the first independent data center business to focus solely on co-location services (space, power availability licenses and physical interconnects). It is icolo.io’s objective to be the largest independent colocation data center operator in Africa over the next five years.
The Candidate: As a Product Manager at iColo.io you will be part of a team responsible for all aspects of planning, defining, creating, launching, and refining products and services, with emphasis around colocation (space and power). You will maintain a close relationship with the market (customers, prospects, and thought leaders) and drive growth and profitability for iColo.io. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
This role is cross departmental and requires successful communications with all areas of the company;
- Executives to understand the business strategy
- Engineering to define and refine detailed product requirements
- The project build teams to understand schedules and building constraints
- Marketing to define a go-to-market strategy, product positioning, key benefits, target customers and market verticals
- Sales for engagement support and product training
- Research and develop market requirements for current and future data center locations, by conducting market research, interacting with customers, understanding needs etc
- Planning input into the development of new Data Centres particularly around sizing of Data Centres, power consumption, types of customers
Collect and Develop material for networks connecting to our Data Centres
- Develop and support the Internet Exchange strategy for each Data Center
- Works with Product Marketing to maintain and provide content for product related collateral and sales tools and position the product for all markets and all buyer types.
- Participates in various Sales Support activities, including: product and services training, seminars and documentation, and pre and post sales customer visits.
- Spearheads and drives the certification process for Data Centres
- Serves as an industry thought leader and presents the company vision at industry events.
- Drives projects through iColo Technology Steering Committee and reports weekly on product roadmap and project status.
- Be part of the core team that works on new country opportunities and is able to spearhead site selection, collecting data on network maps and other relevant information to build a new DC
- Strong communication & presentation skills, with formal public speaking and presentation ability
- Strong technical understanding of how Data Centres are planned, designed and built
- Understands networks topology and how networks are built, the working of Internet Exchanges
- Able to work with highly confidential information
- Strong analytical skills – ability to calculate and articulate ROI of products
- Experience and formal training in project and product management
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Able to manage stress in a high paced environment.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Is able to deliver to timelines that have been committed to.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor Degree (preference in electrical engineering) or equivalent experience in business or computer science
- Familiarity with Pragmatic Marketing framework
- 5-10+ years in product management or project management
- Experience with data center or colocation services
- Experience in launching new products and services
- Detailed understanding of Product Lifecycle
Good to have
- Understands finance : build a business case, P&L models and ROI
- Has good industry contacts to get access to information
- Is able to communicate in French
- Self-starter and requires no operating manual
- Managerial experience
- Has an MBA